Favorite Bible Verses

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Mom


I haven't felt like posting for a long time. My mom was so sick and each week she became sicker. When she passed away on March 9 I felt as if I'd never be "home" again because what is home with out a mother? A friend of mine told me that as time went by I'd start to remember more of the good memories from the past and that they would make the hurt of the present begin to fade. I am starting to see how this could happen.

Yesterday we had a memorial service for my mom, Geraldine "Jerry" Morgan Morris. I wanted to share with those who loved her how I had been blessed to have her as my mother. Every mother is the first teacher for her child. Like others, my mom taught me to walk, talk, brush my teeth, wash my hands, dress myself, and all the basic skills we need. Every mother also teaches specific skills, qualities, and beliefs that shape us, enrich our lives, and make us who we are. This is a list of the first 10 things I thought of when I pondered what my mother had taught me.


1. She taught me to love books and opened up the world for me at the library.

2. She taught me to cook. I still love to try new recipes and cook for my family and friends.

3. She taught me to love music by buying a piano and driving me to lessons every week for years.

4. She taught me to play Scrabble and built my vocabulary by letting me use the dictionary. She let me win often enough to keep me playing.

5. She taught me to be generous by her example. There was always enough food, time and/or money to share.

6. She taught me to love God by taking me to church and faithfully praying for me all her life.

7. She taught me that everyone is the same inside no matter what color they are or how they look on the outside.

8. She taught me that the beach at Pensacola is the most beautiful place in the world.

9. She taught me to embroider and to sew. I still love to make beautiful things out of fabric and yarn.

10. She taught me to love and she did it everyday without even trying.

I am blessed that Jerry Morgan was my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment