Favorite Bible Verses

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Take Nothing for Granted


This morning I am sitting on the porch at the farm with my little dog at my feet, enjoying the breeze, listening to the birds, and looking at the beauty all around me. I love it here because it is the one place that seems permanent in my life. Everything else can change but the farm has been a constant for me since my teens.

In the last 2 years we have lost jobs, moved from a home and friends we loved, left the best church family we have ever been blessed to be part of, had our daughter and sweet grandaughters move to Africa, and lost my mom. It seems as if we have been in a season of loss. The farm gives me a place to feel connected and safe, but after this week watching the TV coverage of Joplin I have finally understood that there is no such place.

On a wall in our house in Ballwin we have an embroidered sampler that was made by Bill's great aunt Rose. It says "Take nothing for granted". I think Aunt Rose was wise. Nothing is permanent on this earth, not even the farm. Recognizing that makes everything more precious. It makes me cherish the people I love, recognize the blessings God has given me, enjoy each day, and soak in the beauty all around me. Take nothing for granted and in all things give thanks. Only the word of our God endures forever.

One of my favorite verses from the study of Isaiah this year - "Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD Himself is the Rock eternal." Isaiah 26:4 That is my safe place and permanent home.

No comments:

Post a Comment